Tomorrow I’m attending the 24th annual Wellness Show running today through Sunday at the Vancouver Convention Centre. Why would I do that? Or more importantly, why would YOU do that?
- Because you live in a body and you only get one.
- Because living IS possibility and as long as you are breathing, you have a shot at fulfilling your gifts.
- Because our wellness is a reflection of how aligned we are with our soul, mind, body and action (or what I call skillset).
- Because we only know what we know, and as ridiculously simple as this is: we also don’t know what we don’t know – and we can’t think about what we don’t know, because we don’t know anything about it yet.
- Because we have no context for the areas of our life that could be more peaceful, or enjoy greater health when we live in the box labeled ‘what I know’ and frankly, we should label it what I think I know instead.
- I know a lot, but I don’t know everything.
I’m attending The Wellness Show because it’s BIG! It’s the West Coast’s largest trade show devoted to helping people live a more balanced, holistic and healthy life. As the TinaOLife lady – sharing insights, ideas and possibilities about how to DIG IN AND LIVE… clearly, I need to be there. As well, I’m particularly interested in their theme this year which is Healthy Families.
I’m the momma of a family of five and I’ll tell you, this is the hardest job I’ve ever had. Hands down.
- Is laundry hard? No.
- The monotony of cooking dinners that kids won’t eat? No.
- Having family meetings about challenging subjects? Well, kinda, but even that is not really hard you know?
This is what IS hard:
- Talking to my kids about listening for their passions.
- Supporting my husband and myself to never leave a dream on the table – to remember we’re people AND parents.
- Having family meals in silence when one of us isn’t talking to each other.
- Practicing wellness – as our birthright.
- Reminding myself and my kids that seeing the world through a ‘sunshine, rainbows and lollipops filter’ doesn’t mean your happy, it means you see the world through sunshine, rainbows and lollipops, which might make you smile more often (might). But that’s it.
- Remembering that sometimes your team loses, but PLAYING is the win we all get to go home with.
- Teaching my kids about consent as they step into their curious sexual selves.
- How to let our undesireable emotions be there: disappointment, grief, confusion and more because they are no more or less important than happy, silly, bliss or excitement and when we sit on the darker colours of our expression the bi-product is often anxiety, depression and resignation. How do I talk about that?
That is hard.
This is why I go to the Wellness Show. I go because I don’t have all of the answers, and I never will.
Come. Join me. We can be students of life together.
p.s. Tomorrow I will sharing a story about Suzy Kaitman, Vancouver’s Ballet Fit instructor who, with over 17 classes happening around the city decided it was time to open up her Ballet Lounge later this month. The piece I’m writing for her is called The Audacity of Passion. Watch for it tomorrow.
The Wellness Show opens its doors from 12 pm to 7 pm on February 12, 10 am to 7 pm on February 13, and 10 am to 6 pm onFebruary 14. The show takes place at the Vancouver Convention Centre East, Exhibit Hall B & C, 999 Canada Place in downtown Vancouver. Tickets are $14.50 General Admission, $12.50 Seniors 65+ / Students with valid ID, $6.00 Children (5 and under free), and $30.00 3 day pass. Tickets will be available online at thewellnessshow.com, or at the door.